Monday, June 26, 2017

So it's been almost 10 years since I arrived in Geneva..

.. and yet I will always cry on the first day of raya when I can't ask for forgiveness from my mum and dad in person. This year is no exception and I can't say I will ever get used to it. Despite having my own little family, raya is never the same without the very people who gave birth to me and raised me to be the person I am today. Those little moments count. As trivial as it sounds.. welcoming family and friends at the front door, lighting up fireworks the night of Eid with my three little brothers... waking up at 2 am to help mum cook.. these are unforgettable memories of my childhood. I used to be responsible for giving away green packets of money to kids and remembered thinking it was such a chore, but now, I miss it. I can only listen to raya music videos on YouTube and enjoy a nice meal with my boys, but it's not the same.


Nevertheless, whoever you are, if you celebrate Eid, enjoy it and cherish every moment with loved ones..

No comments: